9.20.2011

Ignorance is Bliss

America is known as the world’s melting pot. Races and cultures from a variety of corners of the world have made this country their home.
This is evident in the hallways of Cleveland State University.
Coming from a small school district, I was only accustomed to different cliques rather than cultures. Moving to the city was a new world for me.
On campus, the variance of races is clear.
In one place, you can find someone you went to elementary school with, a new friend from Nigeria, and gain a sorority sister from Honduras.
Diversity is prevalent in today’s modern world. We have the nation’s first president from African-American decent for example.
However, it’s not just race that makes this country diverse. It is each persons own culture. There are cultures from different nations, different sub-groups, and ones that emerge overnight.
Tuesday, the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policies of the American military were demolished. As well, many states are legalizing same-sex marriages.
Back to the smaller scale of CSU, different student organizations represent different cultures.
From Greek Life, Latinos Unidos, to the Origami Club, this campus is a melting pot on its own.
However, with diversity seemingly being accepted into our nation, it is shocking still for me to see such ignorance and hate.
To keep things on the small CSU scale, the other day I was in the Student Center working on an assignment for my Anthropology class, ironically. At the table next to me were a new freshman, Chris, and his friend who was from Africa.
I heard them bonding over their African roots, Chris’ father being from Africa as the girl was.
Their stories were those you hear in missions letters but never expect in real life. The girl’s family was well off in their country. Her parents predominantly known and she attended the best school offered. They sent her to the states in hopes for a better education and a broader spectrum of possibilities, trying to not limit her future.
Chris has hopes of becoming a doctor, like his father. He wants to go back to Africa and help those who cannot afford a doctors visit.
This was not only inspiring but also interesting to hear.
Every parade has a rain cloud though.
A woman came over, sat on the other side of the two students, and made a snide remark toward them. Let me mention, this woman was also of African American decent.
At this point, I just put my headphones back in and tried to return to my studies.
I saw from the corner of my eye the woman’s arms flailing and began to hear her voice over Kanye West. I had no idea what was going on.
The last words I heard from the rain cloud in the Student Center was that the girl Chris had been talking to was a disgrace to the whole African culture with her hair, needed to go back to where she came from, had no right to be in America, and is brave for leaving the house in the outfit she was wearing.
Did that actually happen?
Sitting next to me was an educated, put together, beautiful, strong woman. Not what ever it was this woman had seen.
Nevertheless, she walked away after making her final statement only to turn right around 3-feet in front of me. The yelling continued. I was now involved.
Trying to study, and not being one to hide my emotions well, the woman noticed I was bothered by her early morning rants. She approached, rather charged at, me.
Her basic points were that since I was white I was trying to oppress her; I was an ignorant child with no education, and a racist for even looking at her. She questioned, “Who do you think you are?” repeatedly to me.
My response was simple. I told her I was a fellow CSU student trying to get my studies done. I told her I did not want to be disturbed and whatever problem she had with the students next to me did not need to involve the entire second floor.
I was then called ghetto and she walked away.
This woman may have been under the influence or she may have just been ignorant.
I was shocked by this whole situation.
As far as this nation has come, ignorance like this still exists. After the fact, I realized I should not be as shocked though.
Bi-racial, as well as homosexual, relationships are still looked at as taboo.
Women are still treated inferior toward men.
The problems we as a nation have attempted to fix for centuries, still linger in present day.
It makes on wonder if anything can be done to have change and make it last. There has to be some way to abolish ignorance.
As a learned trait, it should not be as difficult.
For now, we will just deal with the rain clouds floating around the country.


NOW PLAYING: 40 BARS - NICKI MINAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment